Thursday, June 16, 2005

If you've been paying attention. .

SK update:
On June 14th the residents of Cedar Rapids voted in a new form of government in a landslide 68% to 34%. The Home Rule (new representative form of government) charter carried the day in every single precint. You don't get a much clearer mandate than that.
Instead of attending the victory party with my staff I was curled up on the couch at home thinking I was suffering from food poising. I found out at 3 am, thanks to the ER doctors, that I had a uninery tract infection and possible kidney stones. It was a painful wake up call to make some adjustments to my diet. But I will say I have never been that heavily medicated and my brother will atest that he enjoyed the experience.
Of all days to not come into the office, I wanted to participate in some part of the celebration and so I made it into the office by nine am and sat down to what I thought was going to be our victory meeting. It was but it was also a meeting to announce the resignation of our fearless leader, Mr. Ron Corbett. A man that I respect greatly and am proud to work for. Ron has 5 children nearing highschool and was offered a rewarding and less political position and I don't blame him for taking it. He will be missed and most of us are feeling a little lost. You can't not be affected by someone who such a strong leader and these last few weeks are bitter sweet.

In other news, I never mentioned what Nate surprised me with the other day. He took me out on a reenactment of our first date. Complete with IMAX and dinner. It was very sweet to see how far we've come in such a short time. We will have been together a year in August. Time fly's when you're having fun. Last night we were supposed to go out with work friends, until I was laid up with a bottle of Vicatin. I had mentioned Nate & I's date night and all the women were really impressed and much talk was made of the issue. We've both wanted our marriage to be a testament of God's love and grace and hopefully this will be the begining of such experiences. I realize too that we need to be honest in our mistakes as well as in our sucess. We are proud to be Christians b/c of what He does in us, not what we do for him.

Speaking of marriage recently saw Mr. & Mrs. Smith and was surprised at all the object lessons there were in there for married couples. Nate & I have discovered the tennis is a great way to take out marital aggression, but its great to see couples fighting for eachother, even as they fight with eachother.

Stay tuned for more! There's is never a dull moment whether I like it or not!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I just love this post! (Although I'm terribly sorry to hear about your poor health.) I hope you get everything taken care of soon...are you going to have anything done about the stones?

I just loved what you said about Mr. and Mrs. Smith and playing tennis with Nate. Shaun and I do that, too!! You said it perfectly.

Katie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails