Friday, June 10, 2005

17th Century Inspiration

The discovery of a 17th century Bach composition has been all over the news recently.
As historically rewarding and thrilling as that is the part of the news release that caught my attention was the words of the piece itself.
“Bach composed the work for a soprano, to be accompanied by strings or a harpsichord, to mark the 52nd birthday of the duke of Saxony-Weimar, for whom he worked as a court organist, the foundation said.
A solo soprano was to sing a 12-verse poem beginning with the duke's motto "Everything with God and nothing without him" written by Johann Anton Myliu.”
This inspirational motto from days gone by struck a chord with me this morning. I have been praying about my responsibilities to the Chamber and the seemingly impossible financial goals I have set for my department. As the primary money-making arm of the Chamber the responsibility to make good on my promise often keeps me up at night especially since I am so new at the job.
While in prayer, this morning the Lord laid on my heart that my responsibility is to HIM first and then my family and finally to the Chamber. The Chamber is under God’s control so are all my daily dealings. So with new vigor I claim the age-old motto as my own. ‘ Everything with God and NOTHING without Him’
Sidenote: if anyone has resources to get the entire text of the poem I would be VERY interested. http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/08/bach.ap/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails