Friday, June 03, 2005

Creativity incarnate. . .

I always say that there is a fine line between crazy and stupid, meaning stupid people drive drunk, crazy ones parachute out of airplanes.
But I am thinking of amending the phrase to say there is a fine line between creativity and sanity. I know for myself my most creative times were hell on the rest of my life. In a crazed swirl I would move from one project to another leaving ingenuity and disaster in my wake. Or to put it more succinctly, I was a mess but a beautiful and original things came out of that mess. Now as I ease back into the structure and comfort of “normal” life I worry about my creative side. The more organized and productive my “grown-up” life is the more my creativity suffers. But if I have a gut-check day, its hard to catch my breath and I feel like a waste of a human being. Voila! I turn out some of my favorite work. I haven’t figured out the balance. Is there hope of balance?
Its like my own Luke SkyWalker dilemma, stay in the real world and have a healthy normal life. Or turn to the dark side and watch great things come from my hands. In my head it’s truly a dilemma of good versus evil. To be creative I cease to be organized and that’s very bad, but to really share my voice with the world? Well what sacrifice will that demand?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true, kiddo... So true. That us a very fine line...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails