Friday, October 08, 2010

On Second Thought

My number one fan (my husband) just informed me that my last blog was depressing. Personally, I believe this is more a commentary on what's happening in our nation than in our daily happenings. We're currently thriving in Dallas, but just so you don't worry here's some of the latest favorites!
Muir Woods
My latest Cali trip for my friends Renee's wedding we did a drive by San Fransisco tour to pick up her fiance (in from Virginia), a couple of friends and a marriage license. Rusty, (the groom) a nature lover, couldn't resist a stop at Muir Woods. I have to admit, I didn't think we could fully appreciate nature in the hour we had between errands. I was so wrong!! What a breathtaking moment. I was overwhelmed at the beauty and peace surrounding me so close to the city.

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home
It's been a little while since I've been on an airplane by myself. In fact, Sophia cried as we parted and wanted to know why she couldn't come with me? (I think she may be one of the youngest frequent flyer mile holders). I don't like to fly that much--but I love being forced to hang out and read. This weekend I picked this one up from the Maid of Honor who grew up in the California Mennonite community that takes center stage in the book.

It was a blast to hear Beth's own family humor and attitudes coming through pages. I can't say I LOVED this book, in fact the authors thoughts on organized religion struck me as sad. But it's a fascinating look at two very opposing world views and how they play out in a family. The author follows her personal beliefs into an abusive relationship then divorce and heartache while her parents modest "close minded" world full of quirky love and security is paraded out for comic relief. But in the end you can't help but love the Mennonite parents (I don't mean I want them for my own--it was a quirky and sheltered upbringing) But I'm glad I read it.

Thanks to new friends for warmly embracing us and sharing some great children theatre. It wasn't their fault that Sophia is my daughter and that anything scary like a witch or a snake (or lately boiling water--I'm not kidding she's afraid something on the stove will boil over so she freaks out when I cook) will make her head for the door. But she comes by it honest, when I was in high school I pushed my little brother onto the floor fleeing a Velocaraptor while watching Jurassic Park on the TV in the kitchen.

My little brother passes me all his audio books and most of the time it's interesting but not always a favorite. This one I listened to between Kansas City and Dallas and was AMAZINGLY surprised. This was my first Flemming book, it's creative, colorful and far more thought provoking than I expected.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails