Friday, January 20, 2006

Growing Pains

“Well, I think I am going to have someone from work take me to the hospital.” Nate admits his own nervousness.
“Well then who is going to take Sarah Kay?”
“I never thought of that. . .”

Kegel exercises. . .enough said.

Learning to sleep with five pillows, or learning to sleep with a women who has five pillows and has to turn over every 45 minutes.

“I think that’s it I’ve got the hospital bag all packed.”
“Did you pack anything for the baby?”
“I never thought of that”

SK -“I can’t believe we finally got Angel (dog) trained, right before we send her to my mom’s for a while.”
Nate-“I'm just glad we can train something.”

“I love you” Nate’s new found declaration of love after wearing an empathy suit for our Lamaze class. It only took half an hour in a suit that simulated being pregnant at 6 months. I tried to talk the teacher into letting us take it home so he could try to sleep in the thing, but his adoration won me over. (He was a great sport—this is a wonderful requirement of our class)

Speaking of Lamaze, I don’t know how much of the techniques I am learning I will really use in labor, but it is so reassuring to meet weekly with 8 other pregnant couples. Of course it’s the first baby for all of us so a majority of the comfort comes from hearing other people ask the same dumb question you’ve been wondering.

I have decided the major reason women eat so much ice cream during pregnancy is because it’s the only thing that soothes the HEARTBURN!

SK: Thank you for not judging me!
Nate: Hey, I may not understand it, but if tatter tots and bananas are the only thing that sound good then I am more than happy to oblige. (Didn’t hurt that I had already made dinner and then couldn’t eat any of it—I think we both got what we wanted)

Pregnancy and labor is one of the only times when the more gory or horrific a story is the more compelled people are to tell you all about it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't even know Nate, but I love him! (I feel like I know him.) This is a great little collection of dialogue and thoughts...so true, so true. Nate sounds like Shaun...more worried about his nerves than what he will actually be responsible for...haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails