Thursday, September 01, 2005

Fearless Inspiration

Its Thursday afternoon, which automatically means I am distracted, I was not meant to work from 2-4, I don’t care if its any time earlier or later but my brain flat lines at that point. To make matters worse it’s one of those gorgeous, pre-autumn days, the type that remind you of long lazy walks home after school with friends. To be greeted by a warm hands and a treat upon arrival home. You can imagine I am a little distracted but to make matters worse, I have the MOTHER of all headaches. I don’t think I can see straight. Personally, I think it’s my artistic subconscious rebelling against my life at the moment. It’s literally threatening to split me in half one molecule at a time. Lately I have felt like I was being torn between the me that is a grown-up and believes for some on reason that all grown-ups should look alike, act alike, and take on all the trappings of the office life. I think I always thought power was something I desired, now I think the real power is held by those that are true to themselves.

“I had five jobs in four years after college and after a near death experience I decided that if I was going to live, I would do it my way.” Rebecca Ryan

I love this quote b/c it could be from a hippie, or a surfer bum or a saint but it was said by a really creative executive. The woman behind these words had just finished giving a seminar on the power of understanding the Next Generation. She had captivated an audience of CEO’s, all high-powered individuals, that were clamoring to hear her perspective on their community. (Side note; I was very impressed with her b/c instead of thinking she had a great program and your community needed to follow it, she spent time knowing the community and getting them to discover who they were and where they could go. http://www.nextgenerationconsulting.com/ngc_solutions/ )

Honestly, I could really care less about what was discovered about the community. But I was fascinated by her spirit and energy. Recently shorn head, a tribute to a fellow cancer survivor, khaki’s, pink shirt and pink tennis shoes, this was truly a woman who had remained true to all the things that made her unique. Best of all she was enriching community after community. What an inspiration.

God never makes mistakes, but often we undercut what He is doing in our lives because its too crazy, too outlandish, no no I couldn’t possibly do that.


27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."
28Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"
Mark 10:27-28

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't have anything to add...just want to say I appreciated this post...your honest thoughts and the way you chose to articulate them. Thanks for sharing, as always!

Katie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails