Monday, September 19, 2005

Black Eyed Monday

The gloomy Monday morning was like so many others. Stay in bed until 7:30 because you feel too sick to get out of bed, roll out of bed, throw on some clothes, try to run down stairs to get something to eat so you won’t get sick. Get sick the minute your foot hits the top step and makes you run back towards the bathroom. By the time I make it out of the house I can only grab my make-up and throw it into the car seat next to me hoping I’ll hit just enough stop-lights on the way to put some semblance of a face together but not too many to make me even later than I am already. So it’s a given that the first sight I see of myself in the morning is in the rearview mirror. I am greeted by a scary looking woman with Goth-like circles under her eyes from yesterday’s mascara. For me, the only bright spot in this Monday morning is that it will be my last. Starting next Monday, my morning commute will be from the kitchen to the office in my house. My colleagues will consist of my editors (corresponding through e-mail) and my dog Angel and water-cooler conversation will have to be a couple of morning blogs.

I can’t wait. The best part of the virtual office is that no-one has to see you until you want them to, that is my selfish thought for the day. But in the long run the best part of the virtual office will be that I can be mom and author all in the same day.

Friday I got called into a very important meeting, planning for a large corporate Ribbon Cutting hosting the governor and a US Senator, but the supposed fifteen minute meeting turned into forty-five and I found myself going 80 down the interstate to make it to my prenatal doctor’s appointment. My only thought, what if this was a basketball game, or my child’s first concert? How on earth do you do this juggling between home and family? I know there is no perfect solution but I look forward to doing the job I love at home near the family I love.
Now that I think of it there must have been a full-moon last night because this morning as I was groaning and groggy (not like me-I am typically a morning person.) Nate was cheerful and down-right perky, which proves it. The body-snatcher must have come in the night because that is NOT my husband. I love you babe, thanks for being sweet to me this morning

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails