Monday, August 22, 2005

Wanderlust!

Fall is right around the corner and change is definitely in the air. For Nate and I that means we start to look at the map and think about all the other places that are out there waiting for us. Some of Nate’s best memories came from days in Dallas where his family was in a foreign city and somewhat isolated. It was there that they became a family, in his mind. I have similar stories of our small family bonding together in the absence of others. For both of us gypsy’s we feel overwhelmed by the number of connections we have to our medium-sized city. Most of them were formed when we were both single and ready to take over the world. Now our lives and our hearts have changed but the expectations haven’t. At least that’s how we feel when we get grumbly. So many people all expecting something different.
The sun is lower in the sky giving off that crisp fall glow, that look that always makes me adventurous. If I could I would jump in my car and go on a huge adventure, I wouldn’t come home till I had had my fill of everything else. To roam the rolling hills and out of the way places, to mingle with travelers exuberant with the courage of being a stranger, the fall always makes me restless.
I am thankful that I married a man who understands these longings, the unsettled heart that needs to be near the Lord, needs to be moving, other places,other people. All I can think of are the people we have yet to meet, to help, to break bread with, and be Christ to. This weekend it was like the “wind changed” and the mood in our house grew taught, the restlessness lives on. I sink to my knee’s before the Lord seeking guidance, sometimes the restlessness is simply growing pains, other times it a call to move. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I really enjoyed your honesty and description in this post. I think we all experience restlessness at times...even those who didn't grow up traveling can relate to that feeling! As always, thank you so much for sharing.

Katie

Anonymous said...

well, shoot. i'm from CR, too. mostly. i went to high school there with wendy who is friend with rebekah whose blog transported me here.

and i'm trying to be a writer. and here you are with a book on its way. that's awesome! i need to channel some of your prowess.

the restlessness...oh yes. wander now while you can, for crying out loud!

patresa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails