Thursday, July 21, 2005

Feminity a reaction http://www.fotpt2.blogspot.com/

Great insight on this blog by two successful lawyers both wrestling with their successes and their fears. One being married and expecting, wonders if she will ever be the woman her mother is? Or if she’s let her family down? The other, a successful globe-trotting world-conscious, single wonders if she is missing something feminine in herself, or if God would really call her to such and unfeminine role?

Both women offer my hope that this is a dilemma of the ages; it is just revamped with every era. For me I can’t wait to have time to nurture my children and create a home that truly reflects our family. But at the same time I worry that if I give up my career will I ever be an interesting person again? I can’t wait to have children, but I never wanted to be an elementary Ed teacher, meaning, how do I balance my grown-up desires with my very precious children?
Second, when I think about the things I spend my time on that are “feminine” on a daily basis they aren’t very “deep.” Eg, managing appearances of home and self, staying in shape, staying in-style (you see the depth of my soul) And yet when I have this deep longing to be feminine it is for so much more than looking “put-together.” What is femininity for today? What does it look like? Why are we so hard on ourselves as women?

I am blessed by wonderful friends that are diving into the blogging world and I love it, but just like any other medium I wonder if it will also cause us grief as we compare our lives to each other? Of course we will. If we let it.
Some day’s I wish that every department store was like Nordstrom Rack. I wish having one huge communal dressing room with big mirrors and lights was mandatory by law. The best part about it is that no matter what shape or size or income everyone that strips down has something to hide when were naked in our underwear.
That is one main reason we shop, to find a piece of identity that is flattering to our good bits and hides our “wobbly bits.” (well at least its mine.)
But in that dressing room we are all exposed. On has a flat chest, the other big thighs, and there isn’t much to feel bad about. I hope as we as women enter this new stage of communication we will be good to each other and ourselves. That it will feel more like conversation over a cup of coffee than anything else.

Here’s to women and all the wonderful parts that make us beautiful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails