Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Southern Sojourn

“Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Hitting publish on my last blog I realized I'd encapsulated all the places we'd been but none of the magic that made it thrilling. Our latest trip has been an old school road trip with long stretches of road and time without excitement. It's been one of our crazier ventures simply b/c we only needed to fill the car and go. Even days before we left as I was procrastinating packing I wondered why we were leaving AGAIN? These thoughts get overwhelming when I'm trying to pack for a trip full of unknowns-when are we coming home--no idea. Where are we going--have only a slight idea. What will it be like--no clue? So why do we do it?

We love coming home to our mid-west enclave of cherished friends and family. But a brutal winter and family needs far away weren't the only thing that was drawing us back to the road. An inner restlessness, that old North wind that stirs up my imagination or the Holy Spirit calling us onto some type spiritual adventure, Nate and I both felt the need to move. The best way I can explain it is like physical problem solving, when my body is moving my spirit is processing.

Despite the unknowns and the misgivings, I've learned to trust Nate's leading especially when God's impressing the same peace into my heart. Leaving Iowa behind in the dead of night, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee began to roll past our window with the welcome warmth of day. Something else happened and continues to happen much to our amazement. Inspiration has trickled in through the long hours of talking and listening. We also listened to others journeys and found hope. Stone's into Schools by Greg Mortenson, sequel to Three Cups of Tea, bled personal experience with amazing development practices into our minds and souls still reeling from our intense journey through Africa.
The road is like a bridge between yesterday and tomorrow, the space between real life and our dreams. In a time of constant connectivity it's the silence, the mountain top experience where God can whisper. These past few days we've seen God smile on our sojourn, old friendships renewed, life celebrated, family cherished, heart ache spilled and softened. I even see hope in the flat tire that waited until we were safe in the arms of family here in Dallas.

The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” –Samuel Johnson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this line: "The road is like a bridge between yesterday and tomorrow, the space between real life and our dreams." As always, thanks for sharing your heart. Let us know when you're back in the Midwest. We really want to see you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails