Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Honk-shew Honk-shew

The little snoring noises I have grown to love from my baby girl sound just like I had describe them as a child. Last night I reached for a blanket to swaddle her in and found I’d grabbed my own baby blanket and in that moment there was something so comforting about wrapping my child in something that had brought me such comfort.

Sophia is her own soul, she looks like her father but has the stick straight, jet black hair that sets her apart from each of us. But recently as the little smile have begun to creep into her repertoire, so has the adorable habit of rubbing her nose with a swaddled fist.
That move is definitely mine. A few days ago during a particularly noisy outbreak of frustration from Sophia, Nate attempted to calm her with a bottle but casually mentioned
“You’re going to have to learn how to do this yourself someday.” And just like that Sophia swatted at the bottle sending it flying across the floor! Yep she’s my daughter—she obviously has no problem sharing her opinions!

Today, I noticed our classy living room is rapidly being taken over by baby items, swings, blankets, pacifiers are becoming regular fixtures in our world and as Nate and I have both confessed, we love every minute of it. I used to be mortified at the thought of loosing my style over to Gerber and Winnie the Pooh but now it’s just a sign that someone else has move into our house and our lives.

As for me recovery seems to one-step forward, two-steps back. I’m hanging out on the couch today because I was a little too exuberant yesterday. So many mothers kept telling me that a C-section was no problem, but I really had to greive the fact that I wouldn’t get to go into labor and deliver this precious bundle I had been entrusted with for the past nine-months. Now I don’t know if I am being callous, but how she came into the world seems like such a trivial point. Meeting my daughter and enjoying her lusty healthy cries as she came into the world is the only thing that matters.

I now truly understand our dear friends Naomi and Travis that are currently SO close to adopting two little girls from Liberia. Yes, I gave birth to Sophia, but I feel more like her mother everyday I spend with her. The life of a child is an amazing gift no matter how it enters our lives.

2 comments:

The Durbin Family said...

That's so true--when something is truly YOURS, it is so much more precious. I was amazed at how much MORE I love Jack than any other child I've ever held or known...even good friends' babies! Because he's MINE! :) I also laughed about the living room...I was telling a friend last night that I didn't like our new living room at first because there was no color, but then I realized that if I just let Jack "decorate" that all his baby toys brought plenty of color to the room! :) Welcome to parenthood! :)

Katie said...

That is definitely well said. We are mothers not because they came from us but because they belong to us... are in our keeping. You do- you fall in love more and mroe and more... just when you think your heart will burst if it gets any fuller, it does...

I loved the bottle-swatting story. Hilarious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails